Last Updated on February 12, 2018
Quell® and its related services are offered to you by NeuroMetrix, Inc. (“NeuroMetrix”) 1000 Winter Street, Waltham, MA, 02451.
What information does NeuroMetrix collect?
The Quell Services collect information about you. In some cases, this information may include your name, your address, and certain other information we ask you to share with us. Regardless of this source of this information, if it can identify you as an individual, we call this information “Personal Information.” We collect Personal Information from you when you voluntarily choose to provide such information, such as when you enter your personal data or set up an account on one of the websites or the app.
In addition to Personal Information, the Quell Services may collect the following information:
The Quell Device and App Information
- User Profile Information. When you use the Quell device and app, you may create a profile including your email address, your demographic information and health profile (note that the security of your account relies on you, and you are responsible for maintaining the security of your password and your device at all times – if you believe that someone else has obtained access to your password, please change it immediately).
- Quell Device Information. The Quell device and app also collect information necessary to provide the Quell Services, including device settings, device utilization logs, your activity, sleep tracking data and your pain ratings. This information is stored locally on the Quell device and app. If you sign up for a Quell Health Cloud Account, this information is backed up and stored on a secure server. We call information stored on the device and app, as well as the backed up Quell Health Cloud Account information “Quell device information.” We may de-identify Quell device information (permanently remove any information that identifies you) and use the de-identified Quell device information to help improve the Quell Services or to conduct scientific research about chronic pain and chronic disease.
- Location Information. The Quell app collects information about your location to ensure that it has the correct time zone, time of day, and location to provide Quell Services. You can opt-out of sharing your location with NeuroMetrix; however, this may disable some features of the Quell app.
- Website and App Analytics. As discussed below, we have partnered with a third party analytics services provider to collect information about how our website and the Quell app are used. This information does not include any identifying information of users.
- Account Information. When you make a purchase on our online store, you have the option to check out as a guest or to create an account. If you create an account, your name, shipping address and order history is stored so we can process orders, handle returns and contact you with product news. Please note that your payment card information (number, expiration date, security code) is provided directly to our third-party payment processor, Authorize. We do not view or store your credit card information. You can read more about authorize.net’s privacy and security practices on the authorize.net website. The security of your user account relies on you and you are responsible for maintaining the security of your password and device at all times. If you believe that someone else has obtained your password, please change it immediately.
- Website and App Analytics. As discussed above, NeuroMetrix has partnered with a leading analytics service provider to collect information about how our website and the Quell app are used. This information does not include identifying information of users.
- Visitor Information. If you visit our website, we collect and store some “visitor information” from you. This information may include the name of the domain and host from which you access the internet, the internet protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using, the date and time you visit our website, and the internet address of the website you visited before linking to our website. None of this information identifies you.
Other Ways that We Might Acquire Information About You
- Customer Service. Whenever you contact NeuroMetrix for help or other purposes, we collect your name and email address along with additional information so we can efficiently address your requests, and to improve the Quell Services. If you contact NeuroMetrix via public forums such as Facebook or Twitter, we cannot guaranty the privacy of your communications through that third party channel. If you contact us by telephone, we may also keep a record of that contact.
- Product Reviews: If you publicly post a review of our product or the Quell Services, such as on Amazon, Facebook or on our website, we may post that feedback on the websites without any information that identifies you. If you contact us regarding a positive experience that you have had with the Quell Services, we may ask for your permission to share your experience through a customer testimonial. Testimonials may include identifying information, such as pictures or videos of you discussing the Quell Services, along with your first name. We will only share such testimonial information with your specific, written permission. Customer testimonials will be used for education, marketing and to help other individuals that suffer from pain or a similar condition as you.
- Clinical Research. If you participate in a clinical trial involving the Quell Services, your Personal Information may be shared with NeuroMetrix, its collaborators or other researchers. You should review any clinical trial-related information as well as any informed consent or authorization forms associated with a clinical trial in order to learn more about trial-related information sharing.
Does NeuroMetrix Share My Personal Information?
NeuroMetrix will not sell, rent, or share your Personal Information except as described in this policy, as required by law, such as to comply with subpoenas or other legal process; or as required by an authorized government oversight agency. We may use your email address to contact you in order to provide information about new or updated products, or other information important to Quell Services users. We may also contact you as part of the Quell Services, such as to send reminders regarding the Quell Services or to congratulate you on milestones.
Why Does NeuroMetrix Collect Personal Information?
In addition to the reasons for collecting Personal Information described above, our purposes in collecting Personal Information about you includes:
- improve our products and services
- respond to your requests and inquiries
- effectively communicate with you
- provide you with information which interests you
- provide you with products and services
Why Does NeuroMetrix Collect Non-Personal Information?
In addition to the uses of non-personal information described above, our purpose in collecting non-personal information about you includes:
- conduct scientific and clinical research that advances the understanding and treatment of chronic pain and chronic disease
- make our websites useful to you
Why do the Quell Services Track My Location?
Your location information is used to optimize features of the Quell Services. Certain entries in the Quell Health Cloud are geostamped so that we can provide better data analytics. In no case is your physical location shared with third parties.
Our website will send a “cookie,” a small text file, to your computer. This allows us to recognize your computer the next time you visit. Also, if you create a shopping cart, and leave without checking out, a cookie will allow us to remember what you were shopping for and keep it in the cart for you. If you do not wish to accept cookies, refer to the “help” file of your internet browser to learn how to block all cookies or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. To learn more about cookies visit WWW.COOKIECENTRAL.COM.
NeuroMetrix works with an analytics partner to improve the quality of the Quell services, the websites, and to give you access to more relevant advertising. Our analytics partner may install “persistent cookies” on your computer or mobile device to perform these services when you first visit our website. A persistent cookie remains in your browser after you have left the Quell services website. This allows our analytics partner to track your activity on the Quell services website, and on other sites you visit. If you visit our website, we collect and store some “visitor information” from you. This information may include the name of the domain and host from which you access the internet, the internet protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using, the date and time you visit our website, and the internet address of the website from which linked you to our website. We use this information to measure the traffic on our website. We use this information to make our website more useful to you. We delete this information after some time.
Can Children Use the Quell Services?
The Quell Services are not meant for use by children under 18, and children under the age of 18 are not permitted to create Quell Health Cloud Accounts. If you are the parent of a child under 18 and believe he or she has created a Quell Health Cloud Account, please contact NeuroMetrix at 1000 Winter street, Waltham, Ma, 02451 so the account can be deleted, and your child’s information can be removed from our active systems.
Do the Quell Services Track My Activity Across Websites?
NeuroMetrix may track your activity across multiple websites. When you visit the websites, we automatically collect the name of the website you visited from (called the “referring page”) and the name of the website you chose to visit immediately after ours (called the “exit page”), and information about other websites you have recently visited. This information is used to improve our websites. The Quell Services do not honor the “do not track” settings available on most browsers. When Quell’s website detects the do not track signal from your browser, it will still collect referring and exit page information and other information when you visit our website.
What if I Follow a Link to a Third Party Website?
Can I Delete My Quell Services Accounts?
Customers can request that their Quell Health Cloud Account be deleted by contacting customer care at 1-800-204-6577. NeuroMetrix is unable to delete any de-identified data created from your Quell Health Cloud Account because NeuroMetrix will be unable to determine which de-identified data was created from your information. Accordingly, NeuroMetrix may continue to use de-identified data after you delete your account.
Will I Receive Marketing Messages if I Use the Quell Services?
From time to time, NeuroMetrix may use your email address to send promotional messages to you regarding products or services that may be of interest. You can opt out of receiving promotional emails from NeuroMetrix by hitting the “unsubscribe” link in any email, or by emailing NeuroMetrix at email@example.com. Opting out of promotional emails will not end transmission of important service related emails related to the ongoing use of the Quell services. You may also receive push notifications through the mobile app. You may need to activate or opt-in to push notifications, depending on your device, and you can also opt out or turn push notifications off.
Will NeuroMetrix Share My Information?
We may transmit your Personal Information to select business partners for the purpose of providing you information or services which you requested. In such cases, we require our business partners to adhere to privacy policies comparable to NeuroMetrix’ privacy policies and in all cases, consistent with applicable law.
How Does NeuroMetrix Protect My Information?
NeuroMetrix takes reasonable precautions to protect its information systems from damage or tampering. These include but are not limited to physical, administrative, and technical safeguards. Despite our best efforts, NeuroMetrix cannot promise or guarantee that hackers, cyber-criminals, or others will not be able to access, steal, or modify the information you share with us.
What if I Live in California?
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits visitors to the websites who are California residents and who have provided us with “personal information” as that term is defined in Section 1798.83, to request certain information about the disclosure of that information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident, you may contact us in writing at NeuroMetrix, 1000 Winter Street, Waltham, Ma, 02451.
What if I Live Outside of the United States?
How Do I Contact NeuroMetrix?
We're here for you.or call 800.204.6577